2.6.10, Sharp chip, incorrect numparts (was: Intel chip)

Olav Kongas ok at artecdesign.ee
Fri Jan 7 03:22:23 EST 2005

Hi Dan,

Thank you for your reply.

First, please excuse me about the incorrect information - it
is Sharp chip and not Intel one.

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005, Dan Post wrote:

> What flash chip are you using, e.g. model, density, etc?
> I see you're using a x16 buswidth, not a x32 pair.  That could be
> related to the problem--e.g. one small piece of code not taking into
> account the interleave--but I'm just making a wild stab in the dark,
> which could be utterly wrong.  Latest MTD code works for me on L18,
> 32MiB (28F256L18), albeit on a 2.4 kernel (I have yet to try 2.6.10).

My flash chip is lh28f640bfhe-pbtl90, 64M (4Mbit x 16), and
as Sharp docs say, its model no. is LHF64F12. It has 8
4Kword blocks at the beginning of the flash and then 127
32Kword blocks. There is just a single flash chip on the
board.

> Later MTD code, including that in 2.6.10, actually looks at the CFI,
> and in a rather nice manner (thanks Nicolas), but sounds like it has
> some missing cases...

Yeah, months ago I noticed that the kernel understood only
the 64kiB blocks but not the 8KiB ones at the beginning of
the flash.

I have to admit I know almost nothing about the CFI and
flashes. But I can print out more flash info and do testing,
if needed.

Sorry again for misinformation,
Olav