Unmarking bad blocks?

Thomas Gleixner tglx at linutronix.de
Mon Jun 7 18:10:08 EDT 2004

On Monday 07 June 2004 20:54, Andriy Korud wrote:
> Hi,
> after playing with mkfs.jffs2 and nandwrite a lot of blocks on my flash
> chip (Samsung 128Mb) become marked as bad (and I'm sure they were not bad
> at the beginning). Is it possible to 'unmark' them or should this chip is
> unusble anymore? flash_eraseall gives:

What does playing mean ?

> nand_erase: attempt to erase a bad block at page 0x00000000
> nand_erase: attempt to erase a bad block at page 0x00000040
> nand_erase: attempt to erase a bad block at page 0x00000080
> nand_erase: attempt to erase a bad block at page 0x000000c0

Thats odd.

> Even I commented out bad block checking in nand_erase(), flash_eraseall
> comlete successfully however blocks remain marked as bad.

Hmm, the erase command runs if you remove the bad block check in nand_erase()
inside the nand driver. So the blocks including the bad block marker should be
erased.

NAND chip type ?
Bus width ?
Kernel version ?
MTD version ?

--
Thomas
Steve Ballmer quotes the statistic that IT pros spend 70 percent of their
mail: tglx at linutronix.de