Help with dual flash devices support

zhang hao zh_chaohao at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 7 00:10:03 EDT 2004

Hi,

I am an newbie in MTD. I have sent a mail before. Maybe I did not tell the
problem clearly.

I have an AM33 board and two 16M AMD/Fujitsu type flash cards. Each card is
16M, 32-bit buswidth, 4-chip(so it is 4*8 ?). My board has two memory
banks. I want to use my two flash cards on this board.

My kernel is 2.4.18 and has been applied some latest patches. MTD vesion is
mtd-snapshot-20030110 and cfi_cmdset_0002.c version is 1.61.

In the menutree I have selected
"Support 32-bit buswidth",
"Support 4-chip flash interleave",
"Support for AMD/Fujitsu flash chips",
and set "Physical length of flash mapping" to "02000000".
(from mailing list I got that "MTD concatenating support" did not need to
select.)

MTD partitions was:
bootloader 16k
kernel 2032k
rootfs 28M or 30M

My problem is when I use flash to boot the board, it can only detect one
flash device.

The output info like this:

"FlagaDM flash device: 2000000 at a0000000
 Amd/Fujitsu Extended Query Table v1.1 at 0x0040
FlagaDM flash device: Swapping erase regions for broken CFI table.
number of CFI chips: 1
cfi_cmdset_0002: Disabling fast programming due to code brokenness.
Creating 3 MTD partitions on "FlagaDM flash device":
0x00000000-0x00004000 : "Bootloader"
0x00004000-0x00200000 : "Kernel image"
0x00200000-0x01e00000 : "rootfs"
mtd: partition "rootfs" extends beyond the end of device "FlagaDM flash
device" -- size tru
ncated to 0xe00000
FlagaDM flash device initialized"

What's the problem?
Is it the version of cfi_cmdset_0002.c too old?
Some previos questions showed interleaved chips were not well supported by
cfi_cmdset_0002.
Is there anybody succeed in dual AMD/Fujitsu type flash support?
If I update cfi_cmdset_0002.c to 1.98, can this problem be solved?

Thanks!

                  zhanghao