Please Help, problem mounting jffs2

Frank R Callaghan f.callaghan at ieee.org
Fri Jun 13 18:54:00 EDT 2003

On Friday 13 June 2003 18:52, you wrote:
> On Friday 13 June 2003 21:18, David Woodhouse wrote:
> > On Fri, 2003-06-13 at 19:47, Frank R Callaghan wrote:
> > > OK, this sounds bad !  Where can I go from here ?
> >
> > Well, you can start by just commenting out the whole of both the
> > jffs2_{start,stop}_garbage_collect_thread() functions since the thread
> > is an optimisation anyway. But basically you need to find out why
> > kernel_thread() isn't working.
> >
> > It's not a uclibc bug -- it's a kernel bug, and not one in the standard
> > kernel either -- I'm inclined to suspect RTAI at this stage, although
> > you blatantly have other kernel threads running so it's not a simple and
> > obvious breakage.
>
> Maybe it's a RTAI problem. But I have JFFS2 / RTAI running on a couple of
> boards.
>
> Have you tried this with a vanilla kernel without RTAI ? If not, can you do
> that ?
>
> If RTAI is the guilty one, then consider the following:
> kernel_thread () is a syscall. RTAI captures syscalls. Maybe the syscall is
> lost anywhere in RTAI.

I have two userland processes communicating via shared mem to an rtai_module
also using two rtf's.

what I have found is after loading rtai & starting the programs - attempting
to mount the jffs2 filesystem stops. When I killed the two processes the mount
resumed and all works perfectly (killing the proceses forces the unload of the
shared memory & forces the closing of the rtf's)
Starting them backup after mounting sees to work fine !

I guess I can try to isolate it futher by not starting the
 fifo's / shared memory,  unless anyone can suggest a better way to locate
the problem.

TIA,
	Frank.