FAT16 reserved sector determination

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Tue Jul 15 02:40:09 EDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-07-14 at 16:53, Cristiano Parzani wrote:
> Hi to all,
>
> i have a nice question for anyone expert with FAT. I have bought a
> Secure Digital and I want to write my own code for FAT16 on it.

But we already _have_ FAT support. We don't have support for "FAT16 on
SD", or "FAT16 on floppy" or "FAT16 on hard drive" or "FAT16 on MMC" or
anything so specific -- we have generic FAT support which works on any
block device.

You just need an appropriate block device driver; ignore FAT totally.

> I have reached to dump the SD boot sector and a particular thing I have
> noticed:
>
> number of reserved sector typically = 1 for FAT 16 is 8, and the SD was
> formatted by Windows XP. This is very strange, I have read Windows white
> paper on FAT and it tell that normally for FAT16 this value is 1.

Perhaps it's done so that the root directory starts in the first sector
of a physical eraseblock? I don't think you need to worry about it too
much, certainly.

--
dwmw2