FAT16 reserved sector determination

Cristiano Parzani c.parzani at tattile.com
Mon Jul 14 11:53:14 EDT 2003

Hi to all,

i have a nice question for anyone expert with FAT. I have bought a
Secure Digital and I want to write my own code for FAT16 on it. I have
reached to dump the SD boot sector and a particular thing I have
noticed:

number of reserved sector typically = 1 for FAT 16 is 8, and the SD was
formatted by Windows XP. This is very strange, I have read Windows white
paper on FAT and it tell that normally for FAT16 this value is 1. Have
anyone a response at this question, where can I search FAT code on Linux
that answer my question, I have already looked a bit into fat for linux
but I have found nothing.

TIA