booting from DOC

stephen lcbr17306 at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Dec 1 06:45:53 EST 2003

Hi Denis,

ye got it sussed now, I managed to patch correctly (i think this was the
main problem) then the kernel I was using wouldn't load my root filesystem,
kept coming out with:

VFS: unable to mount root filesystem on 5d:02

i assumed that 5d = major number , 02 = minor number, so I figured that 02
was referring to the correct partition number but was unable to read it,  so
i re-compiled the kernel and the mtd drivers as 'built-ins', as soon as I
did that I now have my partitions:

nftla:

nftla1, nftla2

nftla1 is a 2MB partition /boot, contains my kernel image and menu.lst (grub
can read this no problem), nftla2 is 30 MB root filesystem, all I did was:

rdev <kernelimage> /dev/nftla2

I assumed this changed the ramdisk word in the kernel, plus of course I:

ldconfig -r /mnt/rootfs

which sits on /dev/nftla2 this sets up the root filesystem up for libraries
etc, also I had all to strip all my libraries, using:

objcopy --strip-debug FROM TO

most of this information can be found at:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Bootdisk-HOWTO/index.html

probably my favourite 'howto' apart from 'Beej's socket programming', hehe

thanks for your advice,

kind regards

stephen