Interest in DOC and YAFFS? --> YAFFS bootloading

Russ Dill Russ.Dill at asu.edu
Wed Sep 25 04:38:31 EDT 2002

On Wed, 2002-09-25 at 00:09, Srinivasan.Ramasubramaniam at nokia.com wrote:
> Hi all !
>
> I request your help to clarify a doubt with regard to initrd-filesystem and cramfs.
>
> If we use cramfs in place initrd-filesystem, will the entire filesystem will be uncompressed and loaded onto the RAM ?
>
> But in initrd-filesystem, the entire filesystem is uncompressed and loaded.

the compressed cramfs image will be loaded into ram, and then, from
there, as pages are needed, they will be decompressed again and put into
ram (but again, if memory is in a pinch, these pages can be dropped). I
don't know if an ext2 initrd will do XIP (execute in place), but I
somehow doubt that anyone has worked on that, meaning that the pages
would need to be copied again, in which case, a cramfs would use less
ram.