Eep. Child "ncp.cfg" (ino #344) of dir ino #88 doesn't exist!

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Fri May 3 18:07:15 EDT 2002

jm1 at angert.net said:
> Today we rebooted it with the latest MTD CVS code (as of 5/2/02) and
> got:

> Eep. Child "ncp.cfg" (ino #344) of dir ino #88 doesn't exist!

> in the syslog.

OK, that looks like filesystem corruption of some kind - you have a
directory entry for inode #344, but the inode itself doesn't exist.

Does it printk any other clues as to why that happened? Nodes with a bad
CRC, perhaps?

> I am unable to delete the bad entry from the dir inode:

> # perl -e "unlink 'ncp.cfg';"
> # ls -la
> ls: ./ncp.cfg: Input/output

That's very odd. Can you print the return code (and errno) of the unlink()
syscall? That really ought to work.

Can you compile with CONFIG_JFFS2_FS_DEBUG=1, set /proc/sys/kernel/printk
to 9 and log the kernel's output during mount and unlink attempts?

I assume the old kernel is showing the same behaviour if you reboot back to
it?

--
dwmw2