Eep. Child "ncp.cfg" (ino #344) of dir ino #88 doesn't exist!

jm1 at angert.net jm1 at angert.net
Fri May 3 15:21:49 EDT 2002

JFFS2 on a powerPC embedded system. 64M Intel Strataflash. Latest CVS patched
into Hardhat Linux (2.4.3 based)

We are using the board for development and test. It had an uptime of about a
month and was working fine - it was running CVS code from 6 to 8 weeks ago.

Today we rebooted it with the latest MTD CVS code (as of 5/2/02) and got:

Eep. Child "ncp.cfg" (ino #344) of dir ino #88 doesn't exist!

in the syslog. I am unable to delete the bad entry from the dir inode:

# perl -e "unlink 'ncp.cfg';"
# ls -la
ls: ./ncp.cfg: Input/output error
drwxrwxr-x 2 root root 0 May 3 14:10 .
drwxr-xr-x 8 root root 0 May 3 14:57 ..

Rebooting doesn't seem to help - the error is reported each time.

Other than this error the JFFS2 filesystem is working fine.

Obviously I can clear this up by erasing the whole flash, but is there anything
I should look at first?

Thanks,

Tom Angert