Updating the root partition

cfowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Thu Jun 20 07:47:11 EDT 2002

On Thu, 2002-06-20 at 06:13, Stefan Thomasson wrote:
> Hi, I'm trying to this whith a jffs2 partition and
> have some questions regarding this.
>

> Russ Dill wrote:
> >

> > The ftpd daemon then sends a HUP signal to init
>
> Doesn't init only reread the inittab on a HUP?

Not mine.  Busybox and SysV does.  but I wrote my own.

> > because inittab contains the line: ::restart:/linuxex, init kills all
> > running processes and exec's /linuxex
>
> Its not like going to runlevel 1, is it?

pseudo like.  I guess.  There are no runlevels in my machine

> restart, is this a special function in BB init? Could not find any info
> on this one,
> is it like a reboot? Or does it get executed everytime I starts?

I wrote my own restart.  You see when I want to restart, I tell the
kernel to toggle the line that restarts the CPU.  I do not want to
shutdown.  I do not care about data in memory.

         // Tell every USER_PROCESS we are restarting.
         wall_all();

        printf("Restarting System...\n");

        log_info("system restarting");
        /* Sleep 1 second to give the message time */

        /* Flush any Buffers */

        // This is here to flush output on tty lines.  No disk
        // is concerened.
        sync();
        /* Take the system down */
        reboot(0x01234567);

Russ and My desgins are differernt.  He may give you some comments too.