doc2000 nftl[abcd] devices

Brendan J Simon brendan.simon at ctam.com.au
Thu Jun 20 00:52:43 EDT 2002

I'm using a powerpc linux 2.4.18-pre8 kernel with an 8MB DOC2000.  I've
managed to create 3 virtual disks using the latest nftl_format from cvs.
$ nftl_format /dev/mtd0 0x00000000 0x02000000
$ nftl_format /dev/mtd0 0x02000000 0x04000000
$ nftl_format /dev/mtd0 0x06000000 0x02000000

I've also compiled the latest cfdisk from util-linux-2.11n.
I loaded the nftl driver (insmod nftl) and did a fdisk (cfdisk
/dev/nftla).  It complained about having no partition table and aksed if
I wanted to continue.  I said yes and I created a new partition and it
recognised the size as being 2MB :)  I wrote this to disk and then
rebooted my embedded system (power cycled).  It came back up and I could
mkfs.ext2 it and mount it.  Another power cycle and mount to prove to
myself everything was written to the DOC correctly.

Now I try the same thing with nftlb and I get errors saying "Cannot open
disk drive".  It should be the same process shouldn't it ?  Any ideas of
where to look to fix or debug this ??  I've had a look at nftldump and I
can see the 3 sets of media headers and they seem like they are in the
right place.

My devices are:
crw-------    1 0        0         90,   0 Jun 17  2002 /dev/mtd0
brw-------    1 0        0         93,   0 Jun 17  2002 /dev/nftla
brw-------    1 0        0         93,   1 Jun 17  2002 /dev/nftla1
brw-------    1 0        0         93,   2 Jun 17  2002 /dev/nftla2
brw-------    1 0        0         93,   3 Jun 17  2002 /dev/nftla3
brw-------    1 0        0         93,   4 Jun 17  2002 /dev/nftla4
brw-------    1 0        0         93,  16 Jun 17  2002 /dev/nftlb
brw-------    1 0        0         93,  17 Jun 17  2002 /dev/nftlb1
brw-------    1 0        0         93,  32 Jun 17  2002 /dev/nftlc
brw-------    1 0        0         93,  33 Jun 17  2002 /dev/nftlc1
brw-------    1 0        0         93,  48 Jun 17  2002 /dev/nftld
brw-------    1 0        0         93,  49 Jun 17  2002 /dev/nftld1

Do I need to patch the kernel with the latest MTD stuff or should the
MTD stuff in linuxppc-2.4.18-pre8 be OK ??

Thanks,
Brendan Simon.