Simple Newbie Questions for MTD and JFFS

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Fri Aug 25 12:34:28 EDT 2000

mark.langsdorf at amd.com said:
>  If I copy a file directly into the mount point, it doesn't show up
> the next time I mount the flash.  If I use mkfs.jffs to create an
> image and copy that into flash, I can see the image but I can't access
> the files that I put into it.

That's odd. Are you 100% sure that the physical write support for your
flash chips is working? When you make an image with mkfs.jffs, how are you
writing that to the flash?

You _are_ using the latest version from CVS, aren't you?

mark.langsdorf at amd.com said:
> I guess I'm asking if there's any documentation or hints on how to use
> the files in the util/ directory,

Erase a single erase block in a device:
	erase <device> <offset>
e.g.:	erase /dev/mtd0 0

Erase a whole device:
	eraseall <device>
e.g.:	eraseall /dev/mtd0

Load an image into a device:
	doc_loadbios <device> <image>
e.g.:	doc_loadbios /dev/mtd0 myimage.jffs
 (note: This doesn't erase to the end of the device, only as far as is
necessary to load the image. Use 'eraseall' beforehand if necessary)

> as well as how mtd and jffs are supposed to work once they've mounted.

Once JFFS is mounted, it should just work. It does for me.

--
dwmw2