[Fwd: power down]

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Wed Dec 8 10:10:15 EST 1999

vmalik at danielind.com said:
>  <desperate plea> Come on guys (and gals). Am I championing a lost
> cause here? Have we given up on power down reliability of nonvolatile
> data in embedded systems under Linux?

Power down reliability of such data is an absolute must. I expect embedded
systems using NFTL and ext3 to be absolutely reliable even if the plug is
pulled half-way through a write.

This means we end up with two separate journalling / logging mechanisms - one
at the block device level (ext3) and one at the flash media level (NFTL). As I
said - ideally, we ditch that in the end and have a journalling/log-structured
filesystem directly on the flash media.

> Is anyone interested in this!? Lurkers please respond. How many people
> read this list anyway? </desperate plea>

infradead /var/lib/majordomo/lists $ wc -l mtd
     64 mtd

--
dwmw2