Embedded device using ARM7TDMI -- where to start ?

Jean Pihet jpihet at mvista.com
Thu Oct 1 09:16:54 EDT 2009

Hello,

On Thursday 01 October 2009 14:40:22 Pascal Dupuis wrote:
> Hello,
>
> As a new member, let me introduce myself : I have a background in
> measurement, data modelling, statistics. I'm involved in research
> projects where the link between the physical sensors and acquisition
> systems is performed by local, low-power microcontrollers in close
> vicinity of the sensors.
>
> I'm evaluating the option of using an embedded device built around an
> ARM7TDMI core. I looked at the uClinux site, and noticed the ARM7TDMI
> port is no more available. In linux-2.6.30, under arch/arm, there are
> a few references to 7TDMI. So I tried 'make menuconfig ARCH=arm', but
> didn't figure how to reach the right options, as I didn't find a way
> to activate the NOMMU kernel option. The question is thus how to
> generate the kernel config for this specific processor ?
What you need to do:
- export ARCH=arm
Then you can look at default configs for supported boards. Cf.
arch/arm/configs/integrator_defconfig for example. If this matches the board
you have you can do a 'make integrator_defconfig'.

Also 'make menuconfig' can help: in the menu, you need to select your system
type in 'System Type ---> ARM System Type', then the platform type.

> Regards
>
> Pascal Dupuis

Note: lists.arm.linux.org.uk is not in use anymore.

I hope this helps,
Jean