Steps to submit a new arch/arm port

Mason slash.tmp at free.fr
Fri Sep 25 06:35:36 PDT 2015

On 25/09/2015 15:17, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Friday 25 September 2015 15:06:32 Mason wrote:
>> On 22/09/2015 16:51, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
>>
>>> Move this to the platform Kconfig file. Also, drop all the
>>> 'select' statements that are implied by ARCH_MULTIPLATFORM
>>> and ARCH_MULTI_V7
>>
>> I've trimmed my platform Kconfig down to:
>>
>> config ARCH_TANGO4
>>         bool "Sigma Designs Tango4 (SMP87xx)"
>>         default y
>
> drop the default
>
> add
> 	depends on CPU_MULTI_V7

I've done this higher up.

menuconfig ARCH_TANGOX
	bool "Sigma Designs Tango" if ARCH_MULTI_V7
	help
	  something useful

if ARCH_TANGOX
config ARCH_TANGO4
endif

So 'default y' enables ARCH_TANGO4 only if ARCH_TANGOX is selected,
right?

>>         select ARCH_HAS_HOLES_MEMORYMODEL
>>         select ARM_ERRATA_754322
>>         select ARM_ERRATA_764369
>
> 	add 'if SMP'
>
>>         select ARM_GIC
>>         select CACHE_L2X0
>
> remove CACHE_L2X0, we want to be able to turn this off.

Some people run with L2 disabled? That's a strange thing to do.

>>         select CLKSRC_MMIO
>>         select GENERIC_IRQ_CHIP
>>         select HAVE_ARM_SCU
>>         select HAVE_ARM_TWD
>
> 	'if SMP'
>
>>         select NEON
>>         select SMP
>
> These should be user-selectable as well, so drop the 'select'
> and make sure the kernel builds with them turned off.

It will build, but it won't run! My port uses the TWD for clockevents,
and smp_twd.c is only compiled if HAVE_ARM_TWD. So I must set SMP.

>> Didn't find much documentation on ARCH_HAS_HOLES_MEMORYMODEL.
>> What is it used for?
>
> You need this if the RAM is not physically contiguous, e.g. 256MB at one
> address and another 256MB somewhere else.
>
>> Is it OK to select CACHE_L2X0, NEON, and SMP?
>
> no

Then I have a major problem... my port requires SMP.

Regards.