arm64:, Re: [RFC] Kernel livepatching support in GCC

AKASHI Takahiro takahiro.akashi at linaro.org
Fri Oct 23 02:11:03 PDT 2015

On 10/22/2015 07:26 PM, Szabolcs Nagy wrote:
> On 22/10/15 11:14, AKASHI Takahiro wrote:
>> On 10/22/2015 06:07 PM, libin wrote:
>>> 在 2015/5/28 16:39, Maxim Kuvyrkov 写道:

>>> Thanks very much for your effort for this, and the arch-independed implementation
>>> is very good to me, but only have one question that how to enture the atomic
>>> replacement of multi instructions in kernel side?
>>
>> I have one idea, but we'd better discuss this topic in, at least including, linux-arm-kernel.
>>
>>> And before this arch-independed option, can we consider the arch-depended -mfentry
>>> implemention for arm64 like arch x86 firstly? I will post it soon.
>>>
>>> livepatch for arm64 based on this arm64 -mfentry feature on github:
>>> https://github.com/libin2015/livepatch-for-arm64.git  master
>>

>> I also have my own version of livepatch support for arm64 using yet-coming "-fprolog-add=N" option :)
>> As we discussed before, the main difference will be how we should preserve LR register when invoking
>> a ftrace hook (ftrace_regs_caller).
>> But again, this is a topic to discuss mainly in linux-arm-kernel.
>> (I have no intention of excluding gcc ml from the discussions.)
>
> is -fprolog-add=N enough from gcc?

Yes, as far as I correctly understand this option.

> i assume it solves the live patching, but i thought -mfentry
> might be still necessary when live patching is not used.

No.
- Livepatch depends on ftrace's DYNAMIC_FTRACE_WITH_REGS feature
- DYNAMIC_FTRACE_WITH_REGS can be implemented either with -fprolog-add=N or -mfentry
- x86 is the only architecture that supports -mfentry AFAIK
- and it is used in the kernel solely to implement this ftrace feature AFAIK
- So once a generic option, fprolog-add=N, is supported, we have no reason to add arch-specific -mfentry.

> or is the kernel fine with the current mcount abi for that?
> (note that changes the code generation in leaf functions

Can you please elaborate your comments in more details?
I didn't get your point here.

Thanks,
-Takahiro AKASHI