"ARM: multi_v7_defconfig: Enable shmobile platforms" breaks Tegra20 multi_v7_defconfig boot

Stephen Warren swarren at wwwdotorg.org
Thu Mar 26 11:57:34 PDT 2015

On 03/26/2015 12:35 PM, Paul Walmsley wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Mar 2015, Stephen Warren wrote:

>>> Thanks, that was it:
>>>
>>> http://nvt.pwsan.com/pub/pwalmsley-tester/testlogs/test_20150325144058_6af714b069dc278d5d8e1b7afc13568f71d9aba8/20150325144058/boot/tegra20-trimslice/tegra20-trimslice/multi_v7_defconfig_log.txt
>>>
>>> Should have guessed when absolutely no debug output was emitted by the
>>> board...
>>>
>>> Sorry for the false alarm, Geert!
>>
>> Interesting. Do the values in U-Boot's default environment work
>> correctly
>
> No idea, I haven't tried.  (The load addresses I used are observable in
> the boot logs above.)

Sure. I was hoping you'd try it out since you already had the setup to
repro the issue.

It'd be good if your test-bed used the built-in U-Boot variables too, so
we're testing them.

>> ("env default -f -a" will reset the environment to default, in
>> case some old values are saved in flash); I put some effort into picking
>> them so I really hope they work! ${kernel_addr_r}, ${fdt_addr_r},
>> ${ramdisk_addr_r}.
>
> According to the tegra20-common.h file in the u-boot source here,
> kernel_addr_r is 0x01000000 and fdt_addr_r is 0x02000000.  If one assumes
> the problem is that the kernel decompressor is overwriting the DTB, then
> I suspect they wouldn't work either, since the gap between the addresses
> is the same as what I used (0x01000000).

I expect the issue is more how close the uncompressed kernel and/or DTB
are to the start of RAM (where the decompressor writes to). IIRC, if the
decompressor is going to overwrite the compressed kernel during
decompression, it moves itself first. I can't remember where the
destination of the move is, but perhaps the relocation can over-write
the DTB. By pushing the location of the compressed kernel away from the
start of RAM, this relocation won't happen. IIRC when the decompression
happens, or relocation prior to decompression, there's no protection of
the DTB being overwritten.