"ARM: multi_v7_defconfig: Enable shmobile platforms" breaks Tegra20 multi_v7_defconfig boot

Paul Walmsley paul at pwsan.com
Thu Mar 26 11:35:41 PDT 2015

On Wed, 25 Mar 2015, Stephen Warren wrote:

> On 03/25/2015 04:00 PM, Paul Walmsley wrote:

> >> Can you try to shift your kernel load address around a bit? From
> >> experience with the boards from kernelci.org we find that as the multi
> >> v7 kernel size increases they can clobber memory when they get
> >> decompressed.
> >
> > Thanks, that was it:
> >
> > http://nvt.pwsan.com/pub/pwalmsley-tester/testlogs/test_20150325144058_6af714b069dc278d5d8e1b7afc13568f71d9aba8/20150325144058/boot/tegra20-trimslice/tegra20-trimslice/multi_v7_defconfig_log.txt
> >
> > Should have guessed when absolutely no debug output was emitted by the
> > board...
> >
> > Sorry for the false alarm, Geert!
>
> Interesting. Do the values in U-Boot's default environment work
> correctly

No idea, I haven't tried.  (The load addresses I used are observable in
the boot logs above.)

> ("env default -f -a" will reset the environment to default, in
> case some old values are saved in flash); I put some effort into picking
> them so I really hope they work! ${kernel_addr_r}, ${fdt_addr_r},
> ${ramdisk_addr_r}.

According to the tegra20-common.h file in the u-boot source here,
kernel_addr_r is 0x01000000 and fdt_addr_r is 0x02000000.  If one assumes
the problem is that the kernel decompressor is overwriting the DTB, then
I suspect they wouldn't work either, since the gap between the addresses
is the same as what I used (0x01000000).

- Paul