[RFC 3/4] arm64: Do not call enable PCI resources when specify PCI_PROBE_ONLY

Russell King - ARM Linux linux at arm.linux.org.uk
Tue Jun 23 16:05:39 PDT 2015

On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 08:34:28AM +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Mon, 2014-09-29 at 12:17 -0600, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
> > This seems like more than necessary, but I don't know all the history.
> > In particular, I don't know why PCI_PROBE_ONLY should make a
> > difference to things like claiming resources.
>
> It shouldn't ... we created that option on ppc originally to avoid
> allocation/reallocation of resources. If they are bad, leave them bad,
> but it was never a question of disabling all these other things.
>
> (Ok, the MRSS/MPS is debatable, but why not plumb the parent pointers
> and why not claim ? That doesn't make sense to me).

You could look back over the history of arch/arm/kernel/bios32.c and
see that it was introduced by Will Deacon when he stripped out the
ARM version in favour of the generic version, and was found to be
necessary then.

I think the question has to be asked (based upon what Ben's saying)
and what's identified in these commits as a failure case
(pci_enable_resource failing when PCI_PROBE_ONLY is enabled) -
why is the PCI core creating per-device resources which do not have
parents.

I've no idea on that; the only ARM boxes I have use the kernel's PCI
allocation, I don't have these boxes which want to use PCI_PROBE_ONLY
so it's something I have zero knowledge of.

--
FTTC broadband for 0.8mile line: currently at 10.5Mbps down 400kbps up
according to speedtest.net.