gcc 4.9 build warnings (was: Re: next build: 2674 warnings 1 failures (next/next-20141022))

Russell King - ARM Linux linux at arm.linux.org.uk
Fri Oct 24 11:33:25 PDT 2014

On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 01:25:09PM -0500, Segher Boessenkool wrote:
> [But of course it would be good if the kernel build would work with *any*
> reasonable toolchain.  OTOH it seems that most arm toolchains aren't
> reasonable.]

It would be nice - we've passed enough flags for a long time to GCC to
try and ensure that, but GCC has a long history of changing stuff in
ways which break stuff.

It needs someone who has a foot in both camps to keep track of what's
happening in GCC, and what's needed to keep the kernel in sync.

As I tend to avoid toolchain upgrades as a rule of thumb, that person
isn't me. :)  I prefer to know where I stand with my toolchain, rather
than constantly being in the situation of having to question whether
every kernel oops is a result of a compiler bug.

--
FTTC broadband for 0.8mile line: currently at 9.5Mbps down 400kbps up
according to speedtest.net.