Problems booting exynos5420 with >1 CPU

Abhilash Kesavan kesavan.abhilash at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 14:06:49 PDT 2014

Hi Olof,

On Sat, Jun 7, 2014 at 2:31 AM, Olof Johansson <olof at lixom.net> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 07, 2014 at 02:16:27AM +0530, Abhilash Kesavan wrote:
>> Hi Olof,
>>
>> On Sat, Jun 7, 2014 at 2:07 AM, Olof Johansson <olof at lixom.net> wrote:
>> > [Adding Nico since he was involved in the original reviews]
>> >
>> > Hi,

>> > Agree. The answer to this is most definitely _not_ "install mainline u-boot".
>> > The upstream kernel needs to be able to boot with the firmware that was shipped
>> > on the device.
>>
>> My answer is not "use mainline u-boot" primarily because I am not sure
>> mainline u-boot actually works on 5420 :).
>
> And I'm saying that's not the answer primarily because we should never require
> people to update their firmware to get a usable linux system.
>
>> My answer is keep a patch
>> locally (or make a trivial change to the bootcmd) for people who would
>> like to use an upstream kernel with the firmware on the device. Once
>> we do have a working mainline u-boot, that can then be used by the
>> interested parties.
>
> And I am strongly NAK:ing both of those approaches. We should not require
> a single out-of-tree patch because that means we have failed to make a useful
> kernel for people. And it should never, ever, be a requirement for people to
> reflash and risk bricking their device just to run mainline linux on it. It's
> an artificial barrier of entry with high risk, and we'll be worse off for
> adding it. Same for out-of-tree patches.
I have explained my reasons in the thread. I continue to believe that
we should not be adding code in the kernel that is specifically
handling an oversight that exists in the Chrome U-boot. However, since
you have NAK'ed my approaches, we are left with Doug's.

>> > In this case it shouldn't be controversial to add this. What we need is
>> > a one-time boot-time setup, not runtime so cpuidle shouldn't be a factor
>> > at that time. The earlier reservations were about runtime changes and this is
>> > quite different.
>> I think there is some confusion here, the clearing of the iRAM
>> location is what I have been pushing against. It has got nothing to do
>> cpuidle. If it were to be done then  it would be a one time setup and
>> I could quite easily do it in mcpm_init.
>
> iRAM is covered on Doug's sub-thread, and I think his approach looks promising.
> So, it seems like we have a solution both to enable the CCI port and to avoid
> clearing iram -- we should be set?
I'll have a look at Doug's updated patches tomorrow or on Monday.

Regards,
Abhilash