Problems booting exynos5420 with >1 CPU

Olof Johansson olof at lixom.net
Fri Jun 6 14:01:26 PDT 2014

On Sat, Jun 07, 2014 at 02:16:27AM +0530, Abhilash Kesavan wrote:
> Hi Olof,
>
> On Sat, Jun 7, 2014 at 2:07 AM, Olof Johansson <olof at lixom.net> wrote:
> > [Adding Nico since he was involved in the original reviews]
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Fri, Jun 06, 2014 at 11:20:56AM -0700, Doug Anderson wrote:
> >> Abhilash,

> >> Can we safely take this one without the kernel-side one?

> >> I think there are people out there who want to run a mainline kernel
> >> on existing Chromebook 2 hardware and don't want to rewrite their RO
> >> firmware.  We need a solution for those people.
> >
> > Agree. The answer to this is most definitely _not_ "install mainline u-boot".
> > The upstream kernel needs to be able to boot with the firmware that was shipped
> > on the device.
>
> My answer is not "use mainline u-boot" primarily because I am not sure
> mainline u-boot actually works on 5420 :).

And I'm saying that's not the answer primarily because we should never require
people to update their firmware to get a usable linux system.

> My answer is keep a patch
> locally (or make a trivial change to the bootcmd) for people who would
> like to use an upstream kernel with the firmware on the device. Once
> we do have a working mainline u-boot, that can then be used by the
> interested parties.

And I am strongly NAK:ing both of those approaches. We should not require
a single out-of-tree patch because that means we have failed to make a useful
kernel for people. And it should never, ever, be a requirement for people to
reflash and risk bricking their device just to run mainline linux on it. It's
an artificial barrier of entry with high risk, and we'll be worse off for
adding it. Same for out-of-tree patches.

> > In this case it shouldn't be controversial to add this. What we need is
> > a one-time boot-time setup, not runtime so cpuidle shouldn't be a factor
> > at that time. The earlier reservations were about runtime changes and this is
> > quite different.
> I think there is some confusion here, the clearing of the iRAM
> location is what I have been pushing against. It has got nothing to do
> cpuidle. If it were to be done then  it would be a one time setup and
> I could quite easily do it in mcpm_init.

iRAM is covered on Doug's sub-thread, and I think his approach looks promising.
So, it seems like we have a solution both to enable the CCI port and to avoid
clearing iram -- we should be set?

-Olof