gpio-pxa initcall level change and machine init breakage

Linus Walleij linus.walleij at linaro.org
Thu Apr 25 17:22:13 EDT 2013

On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 9:36 PM, Robert Jarzmik <robert.jarzmik at free.fr> wrote:

> Now this patch breaks boards. I disagree in having my board code broken without
> notice. What I would find less intrusive would be to :
>  (a) revert the patch

This was done by pull request to Torvalds yesterday ...

>  (b) inform board maintainers that they must fix their board code (for example
>  give them 1 window)
>  (c) put back the patch. Board maintainers who did not amend their board
>  code cannot say anymore they didn't know it. Board maintainers will also have
>  time to rise objections if they think they cannot change their board code
>  (which I do not believe is possible, but who knows ...)

So when it comes to the PXA there is maybe this list of things that
would be nice to change, and this is likely on top of it ... moving the
PXA machines over to device tree would be more important if people
who like them want them so stay around, because non-device tree
platforms will at some point become deprecated, and fixing the platforms
to support device tree will inevitably lead to this problem being fixed
as well.

Yours,
Linus Walleij