[V3 patch 06/19] cpuidle: make a single register function for all

Daniel Lezcano daniel.lezcano at linaro.org
Tue Apr 23 09:43:45 EDT 2013

On 04/18/2013 10:48 AM, Santosh Shilimkar wrote:
> On Friday 12 April 2013 06:05 PM, Daniel Lezcano wrote:
>> The usual scheme to initialize a cpuidle driver on a SMP is:
>>
>> 	cpuidle_register_driver(drv);
>> 	for_each_possible_cpu(cpu) {
>> 		device = &per_cpu(cpuidle_dev, cpu);
>> 		cpuidle_register_device(device);
>> 	}
>>
> Not exactly related to $subject patch but the driver should
> be registered after all devices has been registered to avoid
> devices start using the idle state data as soon as it is
> registered. In multi CPU system, this race can easily happen.

Could you elaborate what problems the system will be facing if a cpu
starts using the idle state data as soon as it is registered ?

Is there a bug related to this ?

> Current CPUIDLE core layer is also written with the assumption
> that driver will be registered first and then the devices which
> is not mandatory as per typical drive/device model.

Yes, that's true. The framework assumes cpuidle_register_driver is
called before cpuidle_register_device.

> May be you can fix that part while you are creating this common
> wrapper.

Personally, as that will modify the cpuidle core layer and the changes
are not obvious (because of the design of the code) I prefer to do that
in a separate patchset if it is worth to do it - if there is a bug
related to it, then there is no discussion, we have to do it :)

[ ... ]

--
 <http://www.linaro.org/> Linaro.org │ Open source software for ARM SoCs

Follow Linaro:  <http://www.facebook.com/pages/Linaro> Facebook |