Multiple issues with omap4 panda es in linux next

Tony Lindgren tony at atomide.com
Mon Apr 22 14:08:22 EDT 2013

* Grygorii Strashko <grygorii.strashko at ti.com> [130422 05:27]:
> On 04/22/2013 01:24 PM, Tomi Valkeinen wrote:

> >>I think this is the issue Christoph Fritz reported earlier, DSS is being
> >>initialized before TWL, and thus DSS doesn't find the regulators.
> >>
> >>The proper fix is of course to make DSS support EPROBE_DEFER, but that's
> >>easier said than done. I'll have a look if I can get it working enough
> >>to fix this issue.
> >Yes, it seems delayed regulator initialization brought up this issue.
> >
> >I hacked DSI driver of omapdss and Taal panel driver to somewhat work
> >with EPROBE_DEFER. But then the issue was with omapfb.
> >
> >omapfb is currently set to start at late_initcall, so that omapdss and
> >panels are loaded before omapfb. But even that's not late enough to get
> >the regulators for omapdss. It seems the regulators get also initialized
> >at the late_initcall level. Changing omapfb to late_initcall_sync was
> >late enough to get things working.
> >
> >Again, making omapdss, panel drivers and omapfb support EPROBE_DEFER and
> >dynamic panel driver insertion is the proper fix, but it's a big job,
> >and there are "interesting" issues with it (like how to know if a panel
> >device will ever get a driver loaded).
> >
> >But is there something wrong with the TWL and regulators? late_initcall
> >sounds rather late for such a core resource. Even if all drivers
> >supported EPROBE_DEFER, won't it cause extra delays in the boot as
> >drivers are getting probed multiple times?
> >
> >As for fixing the DSS problem for 3.10, I don't have any ideas except
> >pure hacks. I'll continue studying this.
> Hi Tomi,
> twl is not initialized because of I2C,
> I2C is not initialized because of pinctrl-single,
> pinctrl-single is initialized at mudule/device init time.
> So, most everything will be shifted at late_initcall time.
>
> Hack that sequence is here - https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/2444501/

Hmm I'm pretty sure the LCD was working on panda with DT
few weeks ago?

In any case, all those drivers should be just module_init
so we get out of the race to bottom to initialize drivers
early. Pinctrl is already before i2c in drivers/Makefile.

I suspect there may be some recent regression that has
happened in linux next over past few weeks.

Regards,

Tony