MVEBU and MVNETA driver

Greg itooo at itooo.com
Mon Apr 22 04:19:41 EDT 2013

Le 22/04/2013 08:20, Willy Tarreau a écrit :
> On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 06:02:19PM +0200, Greg wrote:
>> A simple tool like netcat shows ~470Mbps but this limited by the CPU.
>> Iperf isn't CPU limited
>>
>> The same test with Marvell LSP shows ~940Mbps in both directions.
> I've retested here on my mirabox using httpterm as the tcp server.
> Using the normal send() syscall, it emits 839 Mbps on a single TCP
> connection. Using splice(), it emits 969 Mbps in the same conditions.
>
> Here's what ethtool is saying about the NIC's tuning :
> # ethtool -k eth0
> Offload parameters for eth0:
> rx-checksumming: off
> tx-checksumming: on
> scatter-gather: on
> tcp-segmentation-offload: off
> udp-fragmentation-offload: off
> generic-segmentation-offload: on
> generic-receive-offload: on
> large-receive-offload: off
> rx-vlan-offload: off
> tx-vlan-offload: off
> ntuple-filters: off
> receive-hashing: off
>
> I've tried changing other settings such as the interrupt delays
> (rx-usecs, rx-frames, tx-frames) but this has no effect. So in
> short, I cannot reproduce this behaviour. Are you using the SLOB
> allocator ? I'm asking because I remember experiencing very poor
> performance with it in the past.

Willy,

I'm using SLAB allocator.
As for offloading, I can't seem to be able to turn it on :
> $ ethtool -K eth0 gro on
> Cannot set device GRO settings: Operation not supported
> $ ethtool -K eth0 gso on
> Cannot set device generic segmentation offload settings: Operation not
> supported
Default values :
> $ ethtool -k eth0
> Offload parameters for eth0:
> rx-checksumming: off
> tx-checksumming: on
> scatter-gather: on
> tcp-segmentation-offload: off
> udp-fragmentation-offload: off
> generic-segmentation-offload: off
> generic-receive-offload: off
> large-receive-offload: off
> rx-vlan-offload: off
> tx-vlan-offload: off
> ntuple-filters: off
> receive-hashing: off

I can see 1 difference between our setups, Mirabox has an Armada370, I
have an ArmadaXP, it would be interesting to know what Gregory is using.

Another difference on my setup, and something I wanted to report you :
there is no PHY on my system. I had to instantiate a dummy PHY in the
device tree blob and bind it to the mvneta driver because it would fail
at init without PHY.

Regards,