[RFC/PATCH 0/7] ARCH: shmobile: defconfig consolidation

Simon Horman horms at verge.net.au
Thu Apr 4 20:30:27 EDT 2013

On Thu, Apr 04, 2013 at 01:20:44PM +0200, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> Hi Simon,
>
> On Thursday 04 April 2013 12:29:46 Simon Horman wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > this is a first pass at consolidating the defconfigs of shmobile.
> >
> > It covers the mackerel, amradillo800eva and kzm9d boards which meet
> > the following criteria:
> >
> > * Have the same base memory address (0x40000000).
>
> Do you know if there's any work being done on getting rid of the base memory
> address as a kernel config option ? It seriously hinders cross-SoC kernel
> testing.

As I understand things the main limitation is uImage which uses
the base memory address. There is some talk of creating uImages
at install time rather than build time. Which I believe would
remove most if not all the problem. However, its entirely unclear
to me what such an install process would look like. A new build target?
In tree script? Out of tree script? It seems very undefined to me.

Another, arguably better though not backwards compatible, option
is to boot using zImage (or even just Image) which do not rely
on the base address.

I'm not aware of any other work or discussion in this area although
it would not surprise me if there was some.