Status of arch/arm in linux-next

Linus Walleij linus.walleij at linaro.org
Fri Apr 22 03:56:41 EDT 2011

2011/4/21 Arnd Bergmann <arnd at arndb.de>:

>> Most MFD things are, like I2C chips and stuff but this one sure
>> match the title "multifunctional device", just that it's very singleton
>> and very close to the SoC core.
>
> One property of MFD devices is that they register a fixed set of
> child devices (cells) that are each providing separate functionality
> and have their own drivers. If that's not the case with prcmu,
> I think it should not be an MFD driver.

It's both-and. The power domain regulators and cpufreq are
platform devices and will work nicely as MFD cells spawn
off the PRCMU. (Just that nooned did it that way before.)

The big deviating thing is the clock tree, which also use calls to
the PRCMU. I would argue that the problem is rather that clocks
are not modeled as devices rather than that the PRCMU would
be modeled as an MFD device.

Linus Walleij