About cachetype on ARMv7

Kukjin Kim kgene.kim at samsung.com
Tue Jul 6 20:20:57 EDT 2010

Russell King wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 05, 2010 at 08:21:56PM +0900, Kukjin Kim wrote:
> > If every ARMv7 SoCs have VIPT non-aliasing d-cache and i-cache, then no
> > problem. But actually, Samsung S5PV310(cortex-A9) has PIPT d-cache and
VIPT
> > non-aliasing i-cache. I think PIPT does not mean VIPT non-aliasing even
> > though their functionality is similar.
>
> There is no visible difference between a non-aliasing VIPT cache and a
> PIPT cache.  Address bit allocation for a 32-byte cache line VIPT
> non-aliasing cache with 4K page size:
>
> [0:1] = byte offset into word
> [4:2] = word offset
> [N-1:5] = virtual index
> [31:N] = physical tag
>
> where N <= PAGE_SHIFT, otherwise it would be an aliasing VIPT cache.
>
> For a PIPT non-aliasing cache:
>
> [0:1] = byte offset into word
> [4:2] = word offset
> [M-1:5] = physical index
> [31:M] = physical tag
>
> where M doesn't matter as it can never alias with itself.
>
> The requirements for N is such the CPU visible conditions which qualify a
> cache as being VIPT non-aliasing also satisfy PIPT - and a non-aliasing
> VIPT cache has the same properties as a PIPT cache.

Thanks for your reply :-)

You mean PIPT is the same as VIPT non-aliasing.
Hmm..there is no need to show exactly cachetype in the kernel boot message?

Thanks.

Best regards,
Kgene.
--
Kukjin Kim <kgene.kim at samsung.com>, Senior Engineer,
SW Solution Development Team, Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.