MuRata WiFi Module with Marvell 88w8686

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Thu Jun 19 10:45:00 EDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-06-19 at 08:48 +0200, Holger Schurig wrote:
> > Yes, my fw doesn't support mesh. Will it cause trouble if I
> > use this driver?
>
> No, it wont. This here:
>
> > libertas: PREP_CMD: command 0x00a3 failed: 2
> > libertas: PREP_CMD: command 0x00a3 failed: 2
>
> Is only cosmetical. If you don't like, you can go and change in
> main.c the function lbs_start_card(). Here I check for my
> firmware and don't start/initialize mesh at all.
>
> So you can disable mesh based on the firmware version.
>
> We could disable mesh via a module parameter (e.g. "modprobe
> libertas mesh=0") as well. Patch welcome :-)
>
> A nice patch that disables all of mesh with a Kconfig option (and
> thus reduces the size of libertas.ko considerable) would get an
> ACK from me :-)

Probably not a horrible idea; but we should see how big the patch is
first, and how much maintenance all the #ifdefs would be, versus the two
lines in dmesg that might annoy.  Perhaps we should spend the time on a
way to ignore command failures instead and tell the function that checks
for mesh capability to be silent or print out a more informative message
that doesn't look so scary.

Dan