Marvell regulatory domain info storage?

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Mon Oct 2 09:45:50 EDT 2006

On Sun, 2006-10-01 at 20:04 -1000, Mitch Bradley wrote:
> The region code, or something equivalent, is a good candidate for the
> "manufacturing data" that Quanta will put in their special section of
> FLASH.  I'm thinking of a two-prong approach:
>
> a) The manufacturing data will include a region code and the driver will
> have a lookup table that maps region code to a list of
> regulatory-approved channels.

Right; the current libertas driver already looks up the region code from
the card itself.  But if we get that from the manufacturing area, the
driver has a few tables (mostly for US, EU, and Japan) that show allowed
channels.  We'll likely need to add a lot more tables for different
countries.

> b) Optionally, the manufacturing data can also include an explicit
> channel list (probably a bitmask) that, if present, will override the
> region-derived channel list.

I'm not sure, but there may also be power restrictions on a per-country
basis too.  Need to look that up.  At least the FCC restricts power
output of unlicensed devices, but I'm not sure if that's band-specific.

Dan