[LEDE-DEV] rb112/rb133 (adm5120) compile fail

Stefan Lippers-Hollmann s.l-h at gmx.de
Sun Feb 26 22:51:02 PST 2017

Hi

On 2017-02-27, Denis Periša wrote:
> Ah, now I saw if I enable "BROKEN" that it will show as rb1xx, not
> generic.. And does compile altho I cannot get ath5k running for some
> crypto reason..
[...]

Be aware that adm5120 has never been ported to kernel 4.4, nor 4.9 and
is stuck on kernel 3.18, which is now EOL. This dependency on a no
longer supported kernel version and the fact that the platform as a
whole hasn't seen sufficient (or probably any-) development to bump
the kernel version to 4.4 (or now 4.9) is one of the major reasons why
it is marked BROKEN (another is because most of its devices only have
16 MB RAM, which means you need a very specific/ targetted config to keep
it running at all). Chances are very high that the whole platform code
will be removed from LEDE shortly, unless it gets the development
needed to update it to kernel 4.9.x[1]. If you're interested in keeping
adm5120 support available, the situation is probably very urgent to
get it ported (and stable) to kernel 4.9+.

Disclaimer: I can't speak for the LEDE development team and this response
is only my personal interpretation of adm5120's current state and most
likely fate.

Regards
	Stefan Lippers-Hollmann

[1]	see http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/lede-dev/2017-February/006321.html
	for reference about a platform (au1000) in a similar situation.