[LEDE-DEV] FCC regulatory compliance

Ryan Nowakowski rnowakow at codeaurora.org
Tue Sep 20 14:27:24 PDT 2016

As you know, the FCC is enforcing rules around securing regulatory and DFS
behavior and that is affecting how manufacturers respond to end-user
re-flashing. We're aware of some suggestions that have been proposed[1], but
some of those inherently would block re-flashing. We'd like to open discussion
on what could be done on the chip/wi-fi firmware side that would maximize the
opportunity to re-flash a router with the latest OpenWRT/LEDE while still
ensuring compliance with the rules. This would most likely be for new products
rather than the installed base.

[1] http://wiki.prplfoundation.org/wiki/Complying_with_FCC_rules_on_Wifi#List_of_possible_methods_of_complying