[LEDE-DEV] Documentation for router support means the famous Table of Hardware

Thomas Endt tmo26 at gmx.de
Thu Sep 8 10:38:40 PDT 2016

[Sorry if this message is out-of-thread. I joined the mailinglist only
today]

Russel> If you want something that's pretty, hire someone to watch
Russel> RecentChanges and clean stuff up.

I did this quite intensively in the past, but needed some time for other
stuff during the last 5 months.
Triggered by a notice on the OpenWrt mailing list that the wiki got spammed
again, I slowly start watching the changes to the wiki again. However, I'm
hesitating to invest as much time as I used to some months ago, since I
don't want to see my efforts wasted in a project that's somehow stalled due
to the split in LEDE and OpenWrt. I can only invest time in _one_ project,
and preferrably that would be a project that is live and vital.

Russel> If the experts had the time and raw information to do it, we
wouldn't be talking about this.

What I always said: Let the developers do what they can do best: Develop.
Documentation is an unliked child (I see this at my own privat projects) and
should be left to people dedicated to documentation.

Jan-Tarek> My goal is to make the ToH more easyer undastandlebil and human
writebil.

Can you be more precise what is hard to understand on the current OpenWrt
ToH?
It has been created by only a small bunch of highly interested people, and
what I was always missing was a broader feedback from the community and the
developers.
If there is the need for improvement, and if there are useful proposals, I'd
be happy to implement whatever is possible.

Jan-Tarek> Also I wish we can establish a reviewing and applying process.
Jan-Tarek> But I dont know how we can resolv this inside a wiki

You need reviewers for this, but where to find them?
Review process: Dokuwiki has some plugins for this purpose:
- https://www.dokuwiki.org/plugin:publish
- https://www.dokuwiki.org/plugin:approve

I havn't tried them out, though.

But as others already said: This would be a hurdle that not every user wants
to take. It would slow down the evolution of the wiki pages significantly,
IMHO.

The better way would be the one described by Russel: Have some dedicated
people that take care of the changes being made, correct errors, revert
spamming etc.
However, the same question again: Where to find those people? I am only
_one_ of the needed "gardeners", and I whish there would be some more. I can
take care of syntax/grammar/formalisms/tidyness, but could use some support
on the technical side.

One thing that is important for either way: Have some rules set up regarding
how to groom the wiki.
Currently, in the absence of such rules, everybody is editing the wiki as he
likes, leading to the mess we have today in the wiki.

What the editors do not understand: The modularity that was there when the
wiki started. For each device, the whole installation process is repeated
over and over again.

John> minor details, openwrt wiki still has 0 admins that delete
John> and protect pages, which is the important part of my mail.

I'm still there... but to pick up the idea of LEDE, to have several people
for the same function in order to avoid a mess like at the beginning of this
year: OpenWrt or LEDE needs more gardeners like me.