[LEDE-DEV] Actual community change and additional developers compared to OpenWrt

David Lang david at lang.hm
Tue Oct 25 00:21:30 PDT 2016

On Mon, 24 Oct 2016, Jo-Philipp Wich wrote:

> I would be interested in a more contributor oriented insight at this
> point. For example it took me a while to realize that being on Github
> suddenly means that people edit C code via the web interface without any
> means to syntax / compile / run test their changes or to sign off their
> commits.

One thing that has helped us over in the rsyslog project was that we spent a
signficant chunk of time setting up Travis (tied into github) and have that
doing compile/testsuite runs for PRs that are submitted.

It took quite a while to get done (very little other work for a couple release
cycles, about 3 months) but the results have been well worth it.

It would be even harder to setup for LEDE as it is bigger and has more different
compile options to test, but I think this would be a very worthwhile thing to
do. It's also something that could be setup by someone outside of the core group
(working with their own fork of the project until they get things functioning)

David Lang