[LEDE-DEV] netifd question(s) about moving a device from one bridge to another

Alexandru Ardelean ardeleanalex at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 05:42:14 PDT 2016

Hello,

So, this question is addressed mostly to Felix.
But if anyone else has some input, feel free to add.

http://git.openwrt.org/?p=project/netifd.git;a=blob;f=bridge.c;h=8e6c9a61e6300837ff2f39f8f379f176c4f14aa7;hb=HEAD#l275

That bit of code seem to have been added ~2012.
Via commit: http://git.openwrt.org/?p=project/netifd.git;a=commitdiff;h=a9fd870450e82f31cba681651656276dfc1c39ac

The issue I'm having is that the toggle there, generates link state
events on the device/interface, when it's being moved from bridge_A to
bridge_B, because device_set_present(false + true) would eventually do
a system_if_down() + system_if_up().
Disclaimer: This may have been addressed in another way in a more
recent netifd version ; I am using an older version (with plans to
upgrade asap, but that's still away for some time).

So, then questions:
1) any idea if it is safe to remove that toggle ?
2) any input/idea on what was the initial issue ? I know it's a bit
long from 2012, but maybe understanding the initial problem would
help.

The link state events caused by this toggle, cause other [of our]
modules to react even though they should not.
And we've worked it around netifd [for now], but I'm trying to see if
there's a proper way for netifd to handle this, or if netifd should
take this into consideration.

Thanks
Alex