[LEDE-DEV] Package data on the wiki

Alberto Bursi alberto.bursi at outlook.it
Wed Nov 16 02:18:36 PST 2016

On 11/16/2016 08:01 AM, Baptiste Jonglez wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I discovered that tons of packages now have their own page in the wiki,
> which is nice.  It looks automated, what is the source of the data?
>
> Here are a few observations:
>
> - I'm not sure the list of architectures is very relevant, and it clutters
>   the page a lot.  See for instance https://wiki.lede-project.org/pkgdata/htop-snapshot
>
> - Regarding https://wiki.lede-project.org/pkgdata/wireguard-tools-snapshot
>   the link to the "Source code" is wrong, it points to utils/openocd instead
>   of net/wireguard.  Also, a lot of metadata have not been imported, like
>   version or dependencies.
>
> - There is no page for the kmod-wireguard package, which is built
>   alongside wireguard-tools.  In fact, there seems to be no kmod-*
>   packages at all.
>
> Baptiste

The project is a work-in-progress to have a Table of packages (which
does not mean just a huge table), you can find the discussion with more
details in the forum thread here.

https://forum.lede-project.org/t/lede-table-of-packages-good-or-bad/123/86
(btw, the script source shown in the forum thread is an old revision, I
basically rewrote it to allow decent performance)

and the WIP Table of Packages here
https://wiki.lede-project.org/packages/start

The data is imported by a script that is reading the same package lists
used by opkg in a live LEDE system, then integrated with data scraped
from the Makefiles it downloads from github (mostly categories and
submenus, this wasn't working when I uploaded package data in the wiki,
but now it works fine for most packages).
The plan is to eventually move the script on the wiki server itself and
run this automatically to keep the package data updated weekly or something.

The package data you find on the wiki at the moment is a dummy, loaded
with a immature and buggy script just to test the wiki's ability to show
such data in a meaningful/performing way (and see if it was a good idea
or not).

I know that the information is wrong/missing/incorrect in many cases,
that's the reason we didn't add any link to these pages in the main wiki
yet.

-Alberto