[LEDE-DEV] DMARC related mass bounces / disabled subscriptions

Lars Kruse lists at sumpfralle.de
Wed Dec 14 09:20:39 PST 2016

Hi Michael,

Am Wed, 14 Dec 2016 09:29:18 -0500
schrieb Michael Richardson <mcr at sandelman.ca>:

> Jo-Philipp Wich <jo at mein.io> wrote:
>     > a recent mailing list post from a DMARC enabled domain caused a large
>     > flood of bounces from various mail providers, causing an automatic
>     > disabling of about 190 subscriptions [1].
>
> Thank you for taking care of this.
>
> Do you think that the From: could be other than:
>    First Last via LIST <list at example.com>
>
> because auto-learning address books are going to then associate
> list at example.com with "First Last"<auto-complete>.  I'm only complaining
> publically because your action will clue others into this setting and people
> will follow your leadership.

The conflict of DMARC (or specifically: DKIM) with mailing lists is not too
recent. Thus the LEDE mailing list will probably not act as a model for others.

Mailman uses the "FROM:" rewrite procedure described by jow (see above):
 https://wiki.list.org/DEV/DMARC
(see "from_is_list")

Thus I suggest, that this mailinglist should not deviate from mailman's
approach. This will make it easier for special applications (e.g. auto-learning
addressbooks) to cope with these nasty side-effects of DMARC in the long term.

Cheers,
Lars