initramfs failing, 7MB limit?

Scott D. Davilla davilla at 4pi.com
Mon Mar 10 13:56:38 EDT 2008

This is OT but I'm seeing what seems like a 7MB limit on an initramfs
under 2.6.24.3.

I can boot an initramfs which also works under kexec that has a cpio
size of 6480384 bytes.  I have another (created the same way) that
has more userland tools with a size of 7395328 bytes. That fails
under both boot and kexec with the kernel not finding "/init" and
panicking. "/init"  is present and executable in the initramfs. This
fails on the target hardware and two other standard PC hardware with
256M, 512M and 1G of RAM.

I use the kernel scripts (scripts/gen_initramfs_list.sh  and
usr/gen_init_cpio ) to create the cpio based initramfs but it's not
embedded in the kernel. It's a standalone initramfs that gets passed
to the bootloader/kexec.

It's my understanding that with an initramfs, one is just limited to
available RAM and there are no set size limits.

Anyone else see this behavior or am I doing something incredibly stupid.

Thanks
Scott