makedumpfile fails on SGI machine

Ken'ichi Ohmichi oomichi at mxs.nes.nec.co.jp
Thu Jul 31 06:25:10 EDT 2008

Hi Bernhard,

Bernhard Walle wrote:
> * Ken'ichi Ohmichi [2008-07-31 10:46]:
>> Bernhard Walle wrote:
>>> After debugging that, I didn't find an error code. That address is in
>>> fact the beginning of the mem_map of that node, and is in fact not
>>> mapped (I verified that in crash).
>>>
>>> With an older kernel and an older makedumpfile it succeeds.
>> I'd like to know whether this problem is due to the makedumpfile
>> regression or either the unsupported kernel. Could you please
>> fill the following items ?
>
> * Problematic condition
>   kernel version: 2.6.26
>   makedumpfile version: 1.2.7
>
> * Successful condition
>   kernel version: 2.6.16.60 (SLES kernel)
>   makedumpfile version: 1.1.4 (SLES 10 SP2 version, but in fact that is
>                                1.1.4 although -v displays something
>                                different ;-))
>
>> And could you please test the combination of successful kernel
>> and problematic makedumpfile(1.2.7) ?
>
> That works. Seems to be some kernel change.

Thank you for quick response.

I tried to reproduce this problem on my machine by using an ia64 linux-2.6.26
discontigmem kernel, but it could not do it. makeudmpifle did not fail.
I want to know whether this problem depends on the kernel or either the machine.
Could you send me the kernel .config file ?

Thanks
Ken'ichi Ohmichi