kexec/ kdump setup problem

Mrunal Gawade mrunal.gawade at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 22:14:36 EDT 2008

Hi,

I just checked /sys/kernel/kexec_crash_loaded file after giving the kexec -p
command for loading panic kernel. And the value was 1. So it was loaded
successfully. I then crashed kernel and it hanged. I rebooted manually and
checked the value in the file again and it was "0". So across reboot it got
reset. So if I assume that the kernel loading was successful, the question
remains if it got loaded successfully at the designated space 65M at 16M. How
do I know that? I am running SUSE 2.6.25 on a VMWare workstation. Does
running on VM could change any thing such as memory layout or anything
related to panic handling?

You specified taking a look at the /sys/kernel/kexec_crash_loaded file. Is
there a central document which documents all these error resolving
guidelines? Also I checked in the /var/log/messages and there is no message
related to this printed over there.

Thank you,
Mrunal