kexec/ kdump setup problem

Neil Horman nhorman at redhat.com
Tue Apr 29 20:17:38 EDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 03:40:13PM -0700, Mrunal Gawade wrote:
> Thanks Sachin.
>
> The value over there is a "0" which means I have a failure. How do I
> diagnose what is the problem? I was able to load a normal kernel and then
> use "e" option to reboot into it. But crash dump kernel seemed to be giving
> problem always.
>

> Thank you,
> Mrunal

check /var/log/messages, to see if there is any message there.  It wouldn't hurt
to enable debugging in the kexec binary either, although if the load is actually
failing, I would think you would get something on stderr.  First guess would be
that you don't have a crashkernel area specified on your command line (or you
do, and its reservation failed, which also will show up in the logs most likely)

Neil

> On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 4:13 AM, Sachin P. Sant <sachinp at in.ibm.com> wrote:
>
> > Mrunal Gawade wrote:
> >
> > > After I execute this command. Should I expect any prompt that kernel
> > > loaded successfully?
> > >
> > Check the /sys/kernel/kexec_crash_loaded file. Value "1" means success.
> >
> > Thanks
> > -Sachin

 *Neil Horman
 *Software Engineer