Possible feature(tte) for eapol_test

Stefan Paetow (OpenSource) oss at eons.net
Tue Jul 25 08:51:26 PDT 2023

Hi,

I have a possible feature (an extension of existing behaviour, rather)
for eapol_test. Eapol_test has the -N attribute sending feature, but
at the moment it does not support vendor-specific attributes (VSAs) in
a simple format similar to the existing -N<attr_id>:<syntax>:<value>
format.

So, I'm thinking of adding it either as an extension (i.e. extending
syntax from s, d, and x, to s, d, x, and v) or as a separate switch
(-V) altogether. Given that the functionality would simply take the
value portion to dig out the vendor enterprise number, its attr_id,
syntax and the value and reuse most of the existing stuff, I'm
wondering which Jouni and the people at large in this group would
prefer.

For example, send the VSA of 'Cisco-AVPair="foo=bar"'.

Existing approach:

-N 26:x:000000090109666f6f3d626172

Approach 1:

-N 26:v:9:1:s:foo=bar

Approach 2:

-N 26.9.1:s:foo=bar

Approach 3:

-V 9.1:s:foo=bar

For me, personally, 1 or 2 make sense, more specifically, 1 does. If
we add the token 'v', we can then go over the remaining value with the
same parser again, but make sure we only use the dictionary for vendor
9 (Cisco).

Suggestions are welcome.

With kind regards

Stefan