Inclusive language request

Kevin Lund kglund at google.com
Thu Jul 23 16:30:34 EDT 2020

Hello,

In accordance with the growing trend (references below) toward
inclusive language in code, I'd like to request that portions of the
hostap codebase be refactored to migrate to more inclusive
terminology. For example, the term "blacklist" is used multiple times
in the wpa_supplicant codebase, and I'd suggest changing to more
inclusive terms like "denylist" or "ignorelist". Would the hostap
maintainers (Jouni) be receptive to CLs which implement such changes?

These changes would involve changing some code in place, for instance
the wpa_blacklist from
https://w1.fi/cgit/hostap/tree/wpa_supplicant/blacklist.h could simply
be renamed to wpa_ignorelist (which in my opinion is more descriptive
of the list's purpose anyway). Some external facing bits such as
wpa_cli commands "blacklist" and "blacklist clear" and the network
configuration field "bssid_blacklist" would need to be deprecated and
replaced.

kernel style guide change:
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=a5f526ecb075a08c4a082355020166c7fe13ae27
Google moves to more inclusive language:
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/jul/6/twitter-google-want-eliminate-blacklist-and-black-/
Apple moves to more inclusive language:
https://www.cnet.com/news/apple-banishes-blacklist-and-master-branch-in-push-for-inclusive-language/