[SOLVED, more or less] Re: Upgraded Win (7->10) laptop no longer connects to hostapd AP; errors: deauthenticated due to {local deauth request , inactivity} ?

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Sat Oct 21 02:28:13 PDT 2017

On Fri, Oct 06, 2017 at 04:24:12PM -0700, PGNet Dev wrote:
> It appears the 'fix' for this errant Win10 client is
>
> 	edit hostapd.conf
> 		+	wpa_pairwise=TKIP CCMP
> 		-	rsn_pairwise=TKIP CCMP
> 		+	rsn_pairwise=CCMP
> 		-	wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-PSK-SHA256 WPA-PSK
> 		+	wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
>
> It now connects.

That would indicate that the client has issues parsing the RSN element
that is used to advertise these ciphers and/or key management options.
I'd expect the main issue to be with that wpa_key_mgmt part since there
has been issues in some Windows drivers not being able to handle more
than one value. That said, this was years ago, so I'm somewhat surprised
if it is showing up again with something as recent as Windows 10..

I cannot reproduce this with my Windows 10 client, so I'd expect this to
be specific to the particular driver used in the device where you see
this issue.

If you can still reproduce this, I would be interested in seeing a more
verbose hostapd debug log for the failure case to check at which point
of the connection things go bad.