hostapd freeze

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Wed May 10 10:05:21 PDT 2017

On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 05:48:51PM +0200, Marek Floriańczyk wrote:
> I have hostapd running with 80 devices connected to AP, computer is
>  Linux cubieboard2 4.9.12-sunxi #4
> devices are with NodeMCU module:
> http://www.electrodragon.com/product/esp-12f-esp8266-wifi-board/
> Hostapd is 2.6 compiled from sources.
>
> after a while (like hour or two) hostapd freezes with strange data in log,
> there is no communication through hostapd_cli.

Would you be able to use gdb or strace (etc.) to see what the process is
doing at the point hostapd_cli cannot connect?

As far as the log entries about EAPOL-Key timeout are concerned, it
looks like the group key exchange is failing because the AP is not
sending out the frame, the STA is not replying to it, or the response is
lost somewhere in the kernel. It would be useful to get a wireless
sniffer capture to determine which one of those is the case here.