Having problems connection to hostapd network with HT

Markus Ongyerth ongy at ongy.net
Wed Nov 23 06:28:13 PST 2016

Hi,

We have a problem with hostapd and 80211N.
We wanted to set up an accesspoint using hostapd.
When we set the require_ht setting int he hostapd.conf
our client gets rejected. If we do not set it, we can
connect, but only get legacy data rates.

So I did a bit of digging (mainly debug output and
wireshark).
My test client here is my laptop with an
"Intel Corporation Wireless 7260 (rev bb)" wifi card.
I am using an up to date install of archlinux. I have
done this test with default kernel (4.8) and lts (4.4).
It should not be relevant though, we had the same
problems on different devices.

I found out that the probe frames are sent with the
HT-capability info, but the actual assoc (and auth)
request frames lack these fields.
Looking at the code the code, hostapd checks whether
the station supports HT when it adds it. This is done
only when the first association request is sent.
Which doesn't contain the HT information, which
explains why we get rejected with require_ht.

I have attached hexdumps (from wireshark) for the
mentioned packages and our hostapd.conf

The relevant parts in the code I found are:

src/ap/ieee802_11.c:1858+
src/ap/ieee802_11_ht.c:335+

ongy

PS. We had the same problem on hostapd 2.4 and 2.6 (debian stretch/arch)