Trouble with multiple SSID

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Sat Nov 19 12:10:02 PST 2016

On Sat, Nov 19, 2016 at 01:40:46PM -0600, Dave Weis wrote:
> I'm trying to use the raspberry pi 3 built in hardware to create two
> interfaces and access points. I believe my configuration is correct
> according to the examples I've seen but when I add the 2nd SSID to the
> config it fails to start. Below is my configuration.

Do you have reason to believe that the WLAN hardware and driver used on
that device supports multiple virtual AP interfaces? The command used to
add the second interface is failing:

> hostapd_setup_bss(hapd=0x567620d0 (wlan0.1), first=0)
> nl80211: Create interface iftype 3 (AP)
> Failed to create interface wlan0.1: -16 (Device or resource busy)
> Failed to add BSS (BSSID=b8:27:eb:51:c6:01)

In addition, wlan0.1 looks like a bit strange name for a virtual AP
interface since the ".1" postfix looks much more like a VLAN interface..
In any case, something in the kernel rejected the attempt to create this
interface.