bounty: Please backport wpa 2.4-0ubuntu8 (main) from zesty to trusty

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Sun Dec 11 08:47:39 PST 2016

On Sun, Dec 11, 2016 at 08:13:30AM -0800, Adam Monsen wrote:
> Ubuntu comes with hostapd 2.1. I'm unable to create a 5Ghz access point
> even after trying many different configurations. So, my initial need is
> for 5Ghz to work.

> 02:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 7265 (rev 59)
> 	Kernel driver in use: iwlwifi

Do you have reason to believe that this will work with a newer hostapd
version? Many drivers prevent use of 5 GHz channel for AP mode due to
regulatory reasons and there is nothing that hostapd can do about that
regardless of which version you use.

In any case, it would likely be much easier to build a hostapd binary
from the upstream project source code package than try to generate a
suitable Debian/Ubuntu package out of this..